On 10 August 2011 14:37, James Morrissey <morrissey.jam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> great deal about this stuff.
>
> For the two monitors i would like to have one showing at
> 1280x800 and the other at 1280x1024. At the moment the resolution has
> defaulted to 1024x768.
>
> - - Do you know if the spec of your Radeon 200m supports these
> resolutions combined? I would guess it does, but I'm not sure without
> googling it. Do you know if it uses its own memory or shares system
> memory, and if so, how much?
>
> - - - I am not sure, i came up with the following
> http://www.amd.com/uk/products/notebook/chipsets/radeon-xpress-200M/Pages/ati-radeon-express-200m-amd-specs.aspx,
> but don't know how to interpret most of it. Do you know if the
> information you need is on this page.
>
> Try changing resolution on one of the monitors in
> ~/.config/monitors.xml, which is where i got the unity dock to only
> show on the primary monitor.
> Here, after i saved the changes to ~/.config/monitors.xml, and logged
> out, i got an error message saying  that the resolution would not work
> as i logged in.
> - -What was the exact error message you got?
>
> - - - When i first did this and got the error message, i had only
> changed the resolution on the laptop (to 1280x800). When i changed the
> resolution of both of these i got no error message. Instead i ended up
> with the same problem as i had when following step 4 from my last
> email: screen smear (images would remain in the screen after things
> had closed, or leave remnants when i dragged windows across the
> screen).
>
> - -Can you post the monitors.conf you have at the moment?
>
> - - - Which file exactly do you need for my monitors.conf. The
> ~/.config/monitors.xml, looks like this at the moment:
>
> <monitors version="1">
>  <configuration>
>      <clone>no</clone>
>      <output name="VGA-0">
>          <vendor>DEL</vendor>
>          <product>0x405a</product>
>          <serial>0x424d5653</serial>
>          <width>1024</width>
>          <height>768</height>
>          <rate>60</rate>
>          <x>1024</x>
>          <y>0</y>
>          <rotation>normal</rotation>
>          <reflect_x>no</reflect_x>
>          <reflect_y>no</reflect_y>
>          <primary>no</primary>
>      </output>
>      <output name="LVDS">
>          <vendor>CMO</vendor>
>          <product>0x1516</product>
>          <serial>0x00000000</serial>
>          <width>1024</width>
>          <height>768</height>
>          <rate>60</rate>
>          <x>0</x>
>          <y>0</y>
>          <rotation>normal</rotation>
>          <reflect_x>no</reflect_x>
>          <reflect_y>no</reflect_y>
>          <primary>yes</primary>
>      </output>
>  </configuration>
> </monitors>

> [...]

Aha! That is interesting.

I will say that on my old Thinkpad, to use multiple monitors at all, I
have to drop all the screens down to 16-bit colour.

(Either 65,535 or 32,768 colours, it makes no real difference. Most
"16-bit colour" modes are actually 15-bit colour: 5 bits for R, G &
B.)

On Windows I have to do this manually, by setting both screens,
individually, to 32K colours - *then* changing resolutions. The
Thinkpad only has 16MB of video RAM, which limits it to 2 screens at
1024*768 in 24-bit colour. In  16-bit colour, I can run 1024*768 +
1280*1024. On Ubuntu, there is no UI for changing colour depth, so I
use the xorg.conf file I documented in my blog.

You might want to try this if your machine is of a similar age.

There are no proprietary ATI drivers for my "Mobility Radeon" chipset
- it's too old.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508