On 11 August 2011 12:13, James Morrissey <morrissey.jam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So Colin's suggestion worked!

:¬) Excellent!

> Once i logged in with Ubuntu classic desktop (no effects) i could set
> the resolution i wanted (via monitor preferences) and everything
> works. I am somewhat embarrassed that i didn't see that option when i
> first tried this.

Don't worry - we all overlook things sometimes. Especially after one
has been trying for ages.

> The only issue i am left with now is that screen size appears to be
> taken from the larger 19" monitor. This means that the mouse can fall
> off the top or bottom (or both) of the smaller monitor, depending on
> where i position the smaller monitor in relation to the larger one
> (again, in 'monitor preferences'). This isn't much of an issue however
> as the GNOME menus bound the size to which applications maximise in
> the smaller monitor. So i am happy to live with this.

For this reason, I position my smaller screen aligned with the top of
my larger screen. That way, under Unity, I get the top panel/menu bar
on both monitors, and there's nothing to "fall off" the bottom -
unlike classic GNOME. Works rather better than classic GNOME, in fact.

> One last thing then, since i had enough memory to run the resolutions
> but the advanced effects were messing up the presentation, is it worth
> filling a bug on this?

You can do, but multi-monitor support is still a bit rough in a number of OSs.

> Thanks again, for all the help.

For my meagre part, you are very welcome. :¬)

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lpro...@gmail.com
AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508