Hi Jim and Colin,

Sorry about the delayed reply, my internet is down at home, being
fixed tomorrow.

Jim, the email you responded to was from a combination of Liam and I.

In response:

Can you tell us what model of laptop you have there, so I can google
for the graphics configuration it supports?

- Asus A6Rp; Asus A6 series entertainment notebook

        - - Do you know if the spec of your Radeon 200m supports these
        resolutions combined? I would guess it does, but I'm not sure without
        googling it. Do you know if it uses its own memory or shares system
        memory, and if so, how much?

    - - - I am not sure, i came up with the following

http://www.amd.com/uk/products/notebook/chipsets/radeon-xpress-200M/Pages/ati-radeon-express-200m-amd-specs.aspx,
    but don't know how to interpret most of it. Do you know if the
    information you need is on this page.

I've had a chance to google now - it rather depends on how the
manufacturer implements the chipset. It supports sharing system memory
and its own memory as an option by the look of it. If it is using
shared memory, there should be a setting in the BIOS to set how much
it gets.

- I had a look in Bios but couldn't work out how to set any of this.
In the Bios the only seemingly relevant header was under 'Display' -->
Dsiplaye Settings ---> Video Devices. There the option was set to "LCD
+ CRT", and the options were to set it to "LCD only" or "CRT only".

Could you give me some idea of where i might look so that i can fiddle
with the memory settings?

One more things, from google i managed to find the following, i am not
sure if it is of any use:

"lspci -v -s `lspci |grep VGA|awk {'print $1'}" into the terminal returns:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon
Xpress 200M] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1392
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
        Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 9800 [size=256]
        Memory at fe1f0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
        Expansion ROM at fe1c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon, radeonfb

Regarding Colin's suggestion:

This is the method I use to configure my laptop with an external
monitor (different graphics to the OP of course).  The fact that this
appears to be working initially, but with odd effects, suggests to me
that you have successfully configured the system to use both monitors
in the different resolutions and that the problems you are seeing are
due to something else.  I suspect that if you achieve the same results
by hand, so to speak, with one of the other methods, you may still run
into the strange after effects.   Have you tried running the Classic
interface instead of Unity?  Also try switching off special effects.
This may throw light on the cause of the problem.

- The problem persists even in the classic desktop. That said, what
would be the settings, in Natty, for no desktop effects? I ask as that
option has been removed from the 'Appearance' application. All the
desktop effects are now set through CCSM now, i think. As such what
would be the CCSM settings for no advanced effects?

Thanks for all the advice,