On 22/09/11 10:50, alan c wrote:

The FLOSS world's lack of competence, or even appetite, for publicity
or marketing is the elephant in the room.

1) FLOSS, GNU/Linux etc, 'marketing' is pretty well non existent
compared to non free products. 'I advertise, therefore I exist'
(apologies to Descartes).

2) Of all things, marketing is -very- unsuited to the free libre,
distributed model.

It isn't "marketing" per se that's the issue. It is, plain and simply money.

I read an article somewhere several years ago about how much money is spent on advertising/marketing by commercial software vendors. It was something extremely high, like 50% (I think it may have been more) of their entire REVENUE was spent telling people why they should buy their products, and 10% or so was spent on actually making the product...

To market something successfully costs a great deal of money. Free Software, because of how it is produced and delivered, will never have the kind of budgets that MS/Oracle/INSERT VENDOR_OF_CHOICE_HERE have to spend.

--
The Open Learning Centre
http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com