On 22/09/2011 22:31, paul sutton wrote:
Well there seems to be a market for PC's minus an OS now,

I suppose it all depends on what your target "market" is. It would be interesting to find out the ratio of computers (and by that term I mean both laptops and desktops) used in business to that of home non-business use. Certainly in large corporations the process tends to be "buy whatever machines we need and we'll image them with our own volume-licensed disks". In that case I suspect that any EFI restrictions won't matter because what they image them with will comply with the EFI requirements purely for the sake of speed and ease of imaging. (For example my wife received a new laptop last year that had Windows 7 stickers on it yet was imaged by the company with XP). If the numbers of machine in use in corporate settings (and I know that certainly the vast majority of MS Office installations are in corporate settings so it would be logical to assume the same for machines) is a lot greater than than those in homes then I suspect that the major OEM vendors aren't going to bother (in terms of ROI) to make any sort of significant numbers of machines with no OS. That again leaves us in a no win situation because only the knowledgeable, the "hobbyists" and converted are going to bother to search out a bare-bones machine to install their own OS on. Again - what actually happens will be driven in the main by the largest group of users, and I suspect that is the Corporate sector... Now whether Windows 8 will even be a factor in this I don't know. Certainly AFAIK (as above) many large corporations have not yet upgraded to Windows 7, even though it's been out for nearly two years now and XP comes out of support in 30 months....