Hi Alan,

I appreciate what the design teams are trying to do and I appreciate
that it is very difficult (or even impossible -as I have never seen it
done effectively) to provide the same operating system that works for
both new users and hackers alike.

New users like the OS to guide them through the process, whereas
hackers want it to get out of their way so they can be more
productive. Two very different approaches, you either confuse one or
annoy the other and it's very difficult to reach that middle ground. I
personally would have even gone for having two separate systems under
the "Ubuntu" name to cater to both.

I've been in the Ubuntu community for 5 years already and don't plan
on leaving any time soon, but I think there needs to be some
representation of the hacker culture that Ubuntu has built up over the
years so that we can find the middle ground, it seems to me as though
Canonical wants to believe that we are not here!

I personally like the interactions I've had with Unity. I can see why
it would be appealing to a user who just wants to go on Facebook or
write some documents, but I can also see the reason that many of us
folk who have been here for a long time don't like it. I've seen lots
of criticism of little parts and even some general big rants, I'm
trying to come at this in a more level headed way to work with you on
solving the bigger problem, trying to please both sets of users and
everyone in between.

So I'm not saying Unity is fundamentally broken, it's great for one
set of users, but I think canonical needs to accommodate us with more
customization options and hacks so that we can all move forward.

Daniel