Friends >>> I've been going round in circles with this, finding some old bug reports that may be related, but no answers at all.

I mount NFS shares (served by a ReadyNAS) on my Ubuntu clients - all five of which were, till recently, running 10.04. As a means of getting familiar with Unity, etc, I recently put 12.04 on to one machine. (A clean install, as the attempted upgrade a few weeks ago failed.)

Today, I got round to setting up the NFS shares on this 12.04 system in my usual way: create mount points in /media; install portmap and nfs-common; lockdown portmap; add the shares to fstab.

Of course, I discovered at once that portmap is deprecated, and rpcbind installed instead. So for the lockdown, I simply added "rpcbind : ALL" to /etc/hosts.deny, and "rpcbind : NFS server IP address" to /etc/hosts.allow. Otherwise, everything corresponds with what is working under 10.04 on the other four machines.

But... the shares on the 12.04 machine don't mount at start up. And when I do 'sudo mount -a' I get, for each of the shares,

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified

Of course, when I do 'sudo start statd' I get

start: Job is already running: statd

Has anyone solved this issue?  How do I get rpc.statd to start on boot?

(I should say that while I know enough to be able to follow a HowTo, that's about as far as my skills go - so troubleshooting this for myself is a bit of a nightmare!)

Any help will be most gratefully received!

mac