On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 10:52:10AM BST, mac wrote:
> But the problem is not that I'm locked out of the shares:  rather
> it's that 'mount.nfs' appears to think that rpc.statd is not running
> (which can't depend on what's in hosts.deny/allow, can it???).

I'd start with blank hosts.{allow,deny} to rule it out and restart all
the relevant services.

It would be good if you could post /etc/fstab entries for your NFS
mounts as well.

Have you checked whether there's anything interesting in the logs?

To those who suggested SSHFS or SMB/CIFS as viable replacements, well
they're not as both require user authentication to mount.

SMB/CIFS share can be mounted automatically at user's logon but is
anyone here using it form user's $HOME, without modifying cifs kernel
module that is?

BTW, I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with users' $HOME and data shares on
NFS at my work place, haven't tested 12.04 yet but will try doing it
next week.

Regards,
--
Raf