On 4 February 2013 13:41, Alan Pope <alan.p...@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/13 13:21, Rowan Berkeley wrote:
>>
>> I already in effect tried that; when I ran the command 'unzip' on it,
>> the machine renamed it "sp58586.exe.ZIP" and looked at it and said "gar
>> nicht," or words to that effect.
>>

> I grabbed the same file and indeed it's a windows executable and not a zip
> or self-extracting zip as first hoped.
>
> If you run it under WINE it craps out part way through, however not before
> unpacking it in ~/.wine/drive_c/SWSetup/SP38586
>
> I had a look in there and there's setup.exe and some cab files for the
> installation (which halted as mentioned above). I then unpacked it with
> "unshield" and lo-and-behold there's a bunch of driver directories...
>
> unshield x data1.cab
>
> The RT2860_Driver_XP2k directory is probably what you need for ndiswrapper?

I'm really surprised that this driver is not supported in your kernel
- what version do you have? (run '$> uname -a' on the command line to
find out).

I think it's been in since 3.0, and available with compat-wireless from 2.6.30.

The rt2860.bin file is also available in the linux-firmware ubuntu package.

Cheers,

Mark