On 5 February 2013 08:58, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/13 23:03, Mark Einon wrote:
>>

>> Ok. So the device doesn't have a driver loaded, so it is a kernel
>> issue... It knows it's a ralink device (PCI vendor ID 0x1814) but
>> doesn't know what the device ID is. Can you please run, to find out
>> what this ID is:
>>
>> $> lspci --nn > ~/pcilist.txt
>>
>> and copy the pcilist.txt to the email?
>>
>>> rowan@rowan-Compaq-CQ58-Notebook-PC:~$ lsmod
>>> Module                  Size  Used by
>>> rt3562sta             995054  0
>>

>> Hmm, this looks to be part of the Ralink vendor driver, which
>> shouldn't be here if we're trying to use the native kernel one. Is it
>> possible to remove this? ('sudo rmmod rt3562sta').
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Hi, Mark. Thanks for the thoughts.
> ~/pcilist.text: No such file or directory

Ah, ok. Not sure what when on there - perhaps you could just try
'lspci --nn' and copy the printout the way you know works?

The PCI device ID we need from this is important - as each driver has
a table of such device IDs that it can support. If the device ID isn't
listed in any of the drivers you are trying to "blindly" install, they
will not work - It might just be that Compaq has changed the device ID
themselves and it would just be a case of adding the device ID to the
relevant driver, or I can grep the kernel code for your particular
device ID to see which driver should be handling it. The device ID
should also help to tell us the exact chip model that we are dealing
with.

Cheers,

Mark