On 4 February 2013 14:42, Rowan Berkeley <rowan.berke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/02/13 14:31, Mark Einon wrote:
>>
>> I'm really surprised that this driver is not supported in your kernel
>> - what version do you have? (run '$> uname -a' on the command line to
>> find out).
>>
>> I think it's been in since 3.0, and available with compat-wireless from
>> 2.6.30.
>>
>> The rt2860.bin file is also available in the linux-firmware ubuntu
>> package.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>>

> The machine concerned is now on 3.5.0-22 because all my messing about has
> broken the Ethernet Controller settings in 3.5.0-23, so I have reverted to
> the previous kernel. I have linux-firmware installed by default. Maybe I
> should install linux-firmware-nonfree as well?

I suggested (I think) some time back in a different thread that you
try booting from the live CD/USB and confirm that the wireless is not
found in that case, but I don't think you replied.  See what
sudo lshw -C network
says about the wireless network when live-booted.  That will confirm
that the card is really not supported.

Colin