On 17 December 2015 at 12:58, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> wrote:

> Not quite.  I did say that.  It was a slip of the finger.  <function>+F4 is
> the hardware suspend key combination, and was one of the key combinations I
> had tried, obviously with no success.  All the Lenovo hard coded keys are
> <function>+[somekey] and these were the ones I was trying to use.  I had
> assumed that Ubuntu could override this.  I can see now why it can't.  I was
> having a bad day, and was getting very frustrated, as I had to get it done
> for that evening.  The <ctrl>+[anything] can be used if I choose.  Apologies
> again for the mix-up.

Yes, that is what I thought happened.

Ctrl, LAlt/RAlt and Shift are all passed through to the OS for
handling -- whatever that OS is.

Fn is not; it lets laptop keyboard have multiple functions for a
single key, so that they can pretend to have all the keys of much
larger desktop keyboards. Note that desktops generally don't have a Fn
key.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven