On 16 December 2015 at 16:47, Barry Drake <ubuntu-advertis...@gmx.com> wrote:

> There is such a BIOS setting, but I do occasionally want to use 'hibernate',
> so I'm not going to disable it.  It doesn't explain the behaviour of the
> apps launcher thingy though.  That allows me to capture <superkey>+[any key]
> but does not work the way it ought.  That is definitely hard coded, so I
> have every reason to suppose that the F3 key follows the same pattern.
>
> As I've got everything I want working without using the F keys, I'm going to
> carry on with that arrangement.

I think you either did not read my reply, or did not understand it.

What I am saying, as others are, is this:

* this is not an Ubuntu setting
* it is a setting in your laptop's firmware
* this means Ubuntu cannot change it

That is why you can't see it listed and can't change it.

What I additionally said is:

* even if your laptop's firmware as its own suspend/resume and
hibernate/wake functionality

(Odd, these days, but I have owned machines that do.)

Even if this is so,

_AS WELL AS THIS_

* Ubuntu has its own software-driven suspend/resume and hibernate/wake

Thus,

_IF YOU DISABLE THE FIRMWARE HOTKEYS AS I SUGGEST_

Then this *will not disable Ubuntu's own equivalents*.

You will not lose the functionality, just the hotkey.

I am trying to help you here. I proposed a possible fix and you told
me it was not what you wanted because you didn't understand it. That's
not a constructive response.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lpro...@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven