Thanks Daniel.
 I have tried sudo lvextend -l+100%FREE /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-root (I
think we did try this before).
I received the following output:-
New size (13736 extents matches existing size (13736 extents) Run 'lvexted
--help' for more information.  I did do this but it still left me clueless!
I thought it best not to submit your second command until reporting back.
Outputs from fdisk -l, pvdisplay and parted -l remain as previously
reported.