On 7 February 2016 at 21:56, David Goldsbrough <da...@boavon.plus.com>
wrote:

> Well something happened if not what was desired!  But no twisted knickers!
>
> I booted from a Ubuntu liveCD and then CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to command
> prompt and ran all commands as sudo.
>
> I scribbled down outputs following many steps/commands you gave but
> forgive me  if I cannot fully transcribe to here - my eyesight is so poor.
> STEP 1
> No outputs from 1 to 3 written down but all seemed within order (question
> though - should I have been typing "5" rather than "3" as per your
> instruction?)

Yes, I appear to have mistyped.

The partition you now have at /dev/sda3 needs removing with “d” followed by
“3” and then “enter” again as before.

You also need to repeat the delete step with “5” instead of “3” to remove
the partition at /dev/sda5.

Then you can redo steps 2 thru 4 after fixing step 2 which I also got wrong
when I said to “accept the defaults”: you need to specify that you want it
to create a “logical” partition rather than “primary” when it prompts you
what type of partition to create. (I believe the prompt is
"Primary/Logical?" where the response needs to be to type the word
"logical" followed by enter.)

--
Regards,
    The Honeymonster Daniel Llewellyn