On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 at 20:17, Jim Price <d1vers...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Be aware that the above download for Ubuntu 18.04 is 64 bit only, so I'm
> not sure what happens if you try upgrading a 32bit install.

Upgrading a 32-bit install yields an updated 32-bit install.

You can't "upgrade" a 32-bit machine to 64-bit. You can install over the
top and it should leave the /home subtree and replace the rest, yielding a
64-bit install but with all settings etc. intact. Any additional apps would
need to be reinstalled.

> The very existence of this suggests to me that there should be enough in
> the repositories to do a 32 bit upgrade, but the problem might be that
> 16.04 uses Unity and 18.04 uses Gnome3.

There are only minimal and server install media for 32-bit x86, I believe,
but all the packages should be there and it should upgrade to a full,
working system.

But you are correct, upgrading a Unity-based install installs GNOME 3.
Unity remains present & can be chosen on the login screen but it defaults
to GNOME 3.

I am one of the many people who really dislikes GNOME 3 -- I tried to
explain why here:

https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/52807.html

So I myself am looking for a way to update my 16.04 install and _not_ get
GNOME. I have not found one yet. I may have to do a clean install with one
of the 3rd party Unity remixes.

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lpro...@gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053