On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 at 20:05, Jim Price <d1vers...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 30/04/18 11:47, Liam Proven wrote:

> > So I myself am looking for a way to update my 16.04 install and _not_
get
> > GNOME. I have not found one yet. I may have to do a clean install with
one
> > of the 3rd party Unity remixes.

> Another way would be to convert it to an Ubuntu MATE install, upgrade
> and then install your preferred desktop (unless that happens to be MATE,
> then you don't need to).

> I've not had to use it myself, but here's the process:

> <http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/replace_unity_by_mate>

> Ubuntu MATE is what I use as a base for using an alternate desktop - in
> my case Enlightenment. Ubuntu MATE seems to be well suited to this as it
> sticks to standards well and is an excellent fall-back should things go
> wrong elsewhere. I'd be using it myself now but for the Unity thing
> happening before MATE was released. I share your thought on Gnome3.

I don't want Maté, either, though. I used GNOME 2. It was all right, but it
never did vertical panels well, and it still doesn't. Nor does Cinnamon,
nor GNOME 3 with any number of extensions. LXDE and XFCE are the only
desktops that do it well.

Thanks for the suggestion, but what I seek is a way to upgrade without
getting _any_ other desktop installed...

Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lpro...@gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053