This sounds like something that should be run on a spare system, not on a desktop that I need to keep up and running without fail. Am I understanding correctly?

I do have a spare system, but it's really old (550MHz, 192MB of RAM, 2GB disk), so not sure if it would even run a current version of Linux.

Thanks,
Patrick