Unusual non-production hardware is great for confirms but not triage
necessarily. If that hardware is really unusual, you might need to let
someone else log into it to diagnose things. VMs work too. And like Walter
said, confirming and triaging bugs is really good too.

I still run stuff on a 32-bit only Dell XPS 600, but I mostly use it as my
dedicated IRC box and my first "upgrade-manager -d" candidate. It's been
upgraded in place for each release since 10.04!

--jrp