@pureblood: I wish I could answer your questions, but alas, I cannot. I
can report that I enjoyed no crashes today. Two full days of no crashing
is a welcome relief. But like many folks chiming in here, I am at a loss
to understand the causes of these crashes, so I can't explain why 3.4.1
appears to be working well for me.

I didn't know about the "drm.debug" option, so thanks for posting that,
I might return to an earlier kernel, add the parameter, and see what my
log produces. But from what I can tell by your log, nothing hang-related
shows up: the last few lines appear regularly throught.

An idea just occurred to me, and I'll mention it here for folks willing
to experiment. Recent kernels are by default enabling RC6 power saving
for Intel graphics. When first introduced, there were numerous reports
of various sorts of problems. I see by looking at your log, RC6 is
enabled. It might be worth disabling that function to see if makes the
problem go away; do that with the boot parameter
"i915.i915_enable_rc6=0".

At this point, I feel like many of us are in guess-something-and-see-if-
it-sticks mode. So in that vein, the truly adventuresome here might want
to give the 3.5-rc1 kernel a try!

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.