At the risk of conflating yet another unrelated bug into this thread of
apparently non-related bug reports, I wanted to share my experience and
a workaround in case others have the same problem. See my contributions
on this bug thread...

..and take a look at your USB devices/hubs. It sounds ridiculous but the
conclusion I have reached is that for certain hardware configurations,
kernels >= 3.x will hard hang if USB devices are plugged into certain
USB ports/controllers.

I had a complete hang problem with any kernel > 3.x on my Dell laptop
that only manifested itself when docked. I wanted to move from Ubuntu
10.10 and every upstream release/kernel I tried would hang my Dell
laptop WHEN DOCKED within ~5 minutes but would work perfectly when UN-
DOCKED.

I ASSUMED (I know!)  that this was graphics related due to the fact a)
every hang problem appears to be blamed on graphics/x and b) I used dual
monitors only when docked. But after some pointers from some excellent
chaps from Canonical I tried to run docked but with the USB devices
removed from my docking station ports. No problems. I ASSUMED (I know!)
that this was down to a specific USB device but then I plugged the USB
devices (keyboard/mouse/web cam) into the laptop USB connectors instead
of the docking station's and again no problem. I've been running 12.04
with zero problems for a few weeks now and it's fantastic.

If I plug any USB device into my Dell PR02X docking station using a >
3.x kernel it will hang. Hope that this might help someone on this
thread.

And now the venting...I've come to the conclusion that reporting and
management of bugs in Ubuntu is chaos. Perhaps that's just the open
source world that I'm relatively new to? Perhaps it works and perhaps
it's the only way that a relatively small team of fixers can deal with
the demands on their time. But I have to ask how a bug thread like this
can come into existence such that >250 posts about critical errors that
may or may not be related to each other can simply be marked as won't
fix?

I understand why this thread is marked won't fix NOW. It contains a
random collection of reports that each only have "12.04" and "completely
freezes frequently" in common. But what lack of control and what sort of
opaque process leads us users to latching on to a thread that 'appears'
to the layman to describe the same problem we are having, only for some
months down the line to be told that we reported the bugs in the wrong
way?

I REALLY appreciate the community effort that went into providing me
with 'free' software and it would be churlish to attack the community
behind it - as some have on here. But Canonical has commercial ambitions
and wants to reach a wider audience and in the commercial world, this
process is not good enough.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.