HUGE kudos to Kevin LeBlanc, my system is stable thanks to his solution. See
post 329 above for details. Now if I could just play flash videos in FF 13
without my temps soaring to 70 C..  (my work around is to use my ASUS with win7
(LOL)
"You may need to go into the "Previous Linux Versions" in order to find the
older kernel. If this is the case, then a step was missed."
I must have missed a step but having to do 1 extra key stroke after power on to
have a stable OS is a very small price to pay!

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.