Hello again,  following S. Christian Collins' instructions I placed the
clocksource=hpet command into the default grub sequence (which seems to
only get more complicated as grub versions increase) but I am not
entirely sure how to check if it is active.  I have all of the debug
stuff in dmesg available by using xdiagnose to insert the appropriate
kernel debugging commands at boot time, but I only see a 'kernel command
line' article that gives the kernel options from grub and no mention
thereafter of a clock source. It didn't throw an error or say it wasn't
using it so it must be doing something.

As to power management, I ran 'xset -q' as Jeremy LaCroix recommends and
I can say that DPMS is enabled but that its event timers are all set to
0 so I imagine that is effectively off.  I'll try adding a monitor
section explicitly disabling DPMS in my 90-custom.conf file from the
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d directory.

I'll try to make my system crash some more and report back what happens.
Thanks for the suggestions!

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.