I also have this problem (complete system freeze up - no mouse or
anything responding.)

I haven't had time to try to actively troubleshoot the issue, though
it's been happening to me for at least two to three weeks.  At first I
thought I must have some failing piece of hardware.  Then I noticed a
common denominator that seemed really weird to me.

Here's what I've found to contribute:
If I do not use a web browser, my computer does not crash.  If I use any web
browser I've tried, my system will crash at some point.  Firefox does it.
Chromium does it.  NetSurf does it.  Konqueror does it.

Since this started, I have yet to have a crash if I do not open any web
browsers.  I haven't made any changes to power management, or tried a
different kernel.  Just stopped using graphical web browsers on this
machine.

System resource usage isn't an issue.  I can run a Virtualbox VM with a
full Windows 2008 R2 and SharePoint plus SQL Server, without any
problems.  I have left my system running for the better part of two days
right now with no lockups.  If I start using a graphical web browser, I
can predict with some certainty, my system will crash within a matter of
minutes.

My system:
Ubuntu 12.04 with KDE running on Xorg 11.0
AMD Phenom 9800 Quad core CPU
8 GB DDR2 800
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 graphics
Running graphics driver version 295.49

I have noticed that viewing a video in the web browser is almost a sure
fire way to cause the lockup almost immediately.  The lockups happen
without watching videos (but with the web browser in use), too.

Has anyone tested to see if the Flash player might be part of the
problem?

A final thought...  it absolutely sucks to Google this issue, only to
find this page with the "won't fix" status on this issue.  This is not
my first Ubuntu system.  If there's no way to correct this issue, this
may be my last Ubuntu system.

  ubuntu 12.04 completely freezes frequently.