You describe more precisely exactly the same as I am seeing, with just a single
screen.
Now, being a total Newbie to Linux, I thought initially it was pilot error.

I also need to use the Command Line commands, and after setting the
screen size, I used the GUI desktop "Terminal" to access the login  ......
this works OK (against the purple background).
But if I access the Command Line via "Ctrl+Alt+F1" (as recommended)
the screen changes size back to overflowing (black background) and
so you cannot see the prompts, which overflow on the left side.
I notice also that an incorrect keyboard layout is now selected.
I don't think this can be normal, so could this be something to do with the
same bug?
Or maybe its just my ignorance of the quirks of Ubuntu, and I still
need to configure something else.

  Ubuntu 15.10 Could not apply the stored configuration for monitors