rwarner wrote:
> Video streaming i would consider a large scale system.  Why was a non
> MMU processor selected for a video streaming application?

Price and availability of a chip that did good video (HDTV even), and
we didn't know the no-MMU penalty at the time.

We did compare with some other devices, and against some embedded PCs,
and this chip won.  The PCs weren't as powerful at video (despite
being targetted at it) and too expensive.

> I worked on
> one vision system using VxWorks (ver 4.2) on an i960.  Obviously not an
> MMU processor, but the OS was also setup to not utilize an MMU in the
> first place.

The trouble is, we do actually use the Linux features quite a lot too.
It's not just video, there's also fairly sophisticated networking and
data shoveling, and some interactive stuff.

> good luck on the sw headaches.  ;)  may the force be with you ... lol

Thanks :-)

-- Jamie