Michael Schnell wrote:
> Thanks a lot for telling us your experiences.
>
> I feel very happy that I chose an FPGA and not a dedicated hardware CPU,
> so I can decide at any time if I want an MMU or not. :)

Yes, FPGAs are nice in that way.  I like being able to add
special instructions and coprocessors whenever I feel like it :-)

I used to program FPGAs (one board had 36 large ones :-), but I'm
working an a dedicated CPU now because of unit cost in a price
sensitive project.

I have the impression that all FPGAs are either _much_ more expensive
than a CPU ($100s compared with, say, $5), or too small to implement
things like an MMU realistically and still have room for coprocessors.

Is my impression quite wrong now?  I would like to implement HDTV
video decoding and a medium speed Linux system for a few $10s.  (And I'd be
happy to open source the decoder).  Is that now feasible with an FPGA?

Thanks,
-- Jamie