Hi Jamie,

I won't need a web browser, just a thin client to communicate with a central
server.

I was just told our device doesn't have RAM at all, only 8MB ROM. Is that
possible?

All these EABI/OABI stuff seems complicated. I have to compile different parts of my application with different compilers?

Jonathan

Jamie Lokier wrote:
Jonathan Wong wrote:
Can I use your "Mika"? Is the EM8623 an ARM9 or ARM7?

EM8623 is an ARM7 I believe, with no MMU.

For SMP8634 and beyond, they switched to MIPS with MMU :-)

The codesourcery toolchain uses ARM EABI, but the Sigma Designs
libraries as OABI, so watch out.  You have to use the right
compilers...

I need to create a media player and include web connectivity (very thin web client). Do I use CLDC or CDC? It could come down to size constraints, though.

Your main constraint will be memory, indeed.  Max RAM with EM8623 is
128MB, and some portion, about 40MB, must be kept separate for video.

That does not leave much for a web browser, if you have
high-resolution pictures or large fonts.  It'll be a squeeze.  But it
is just about enough for basic pages.  I predict your biggest problem
after getting a browser will be memory fragmentation, which prevents
all the memory being used with 100% efficiency - especially when
streaming video and/or switching between complex web pages.

By the way, there are some non-Java web clients for these devices.
Opera is available, that's probably good.
Some others look less good, but it depends what you're displaying.

I was told codecs are included in the processor. Is that possible, or just marketing talk?

There are several codec co-processors in the chip, connected to the
ARM part.  They are quite good, for the price, although struggle a bit
at the highest resolutions.  You need to load codec binaries, but they
are loaded into the co-processors which are specially designed for it;
they don't do much on the ARM itself.

I'm asking the manufacturer about RAM sizes. Whatever the RAM size is, I'm stuck with it. The hardware has already been bought by somebody on the team.

Max size RAM, last I heard, is 128MB total (including video memory) on
EM8623.

Best of luck,
-- Jamie