It is possible to daemonize on uClinux without exec'ing a new process,
using clone() instead of vfork().  I have a version of the daemon()
function which does that, which I posted to the Busybox bug tracker
years ago; I should really submit it to uClibc.
I found that with the arch I use (NIOS), the demonizing that is provided by boa (by just doing "boa") does not work, while doing "boa -d &" works just fine. I did report this to the boa team. Obviously they where hit by the demonizing-problem you stated. Interestingly the previous version of boa did not suffer from this problem, here just doing "boa" (and thus requesting for demonizing) seemed to work.

BTW.: AFAIK, clone() called with the appropriate arguments performs the same action as fork() or vfork(). Thus, does fork() or vfork() just call clone() ? Is the behavior of clone() (e.g. if or if not stall the parent process until the child does *exec() or exit ) well defined or is it depending on the arch (MMU or MMU-less) ?

-Michael