>   I tend to find laptops both technically and ergonomically unsuitable for
>   heavy development work. Regardless of how powerful a laptop is, it
>   tends to lack juice when doing heavy builds compared with a desktop
>   having the same specifications. Only the high-end gaming lappys are
>   somewhat ok.
>
>   I now use laptops only for testing and presentations. I've had back
> pains
>   when I was using the Ferrari continuously 10-12 hrs a day. All problems
>   disappeared when I switched to my home desktop. I use a desktop at
>   office as well.

Desktops rule when it comes to using them for extended period of time.
I typically use both my laptops ( company-provided and personal ) as
desktops at home.
I connect kb and mouse to it and use it like this:
http://flickr.com/photos/manish_chaks/2286109374/

Also I have an RSI condition, my right hand has a burning sensation and
swells up at the wrist :(

BTW,

I am running the KDE4 build on CDE right now. It is running no other
application.
It's been around 2 hours into the build. the system seems to heat less and
is _way_ more responsive. In fact I havent noticed any slowdown at all :

I have not yet incorporated the ZFS arc fix into this nor turned compression
off.
I just want to find out how much of an effect the JDS monster makes on this
system, all other factors being equal!

Go CDE!