From: Sanjeev.Bagewadi at Sun.COM [mailto:sanjeev.bagew...@sun.com]
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2008 10:32 AM
To: manishchaks at gmail.com
Cc: Bangalore OpenSolaris User Group
Subject: Re: [ug-bosug] SXDE : 2 serious reliability issues

Manish,

Manish Chakravarty wrote:

>     This is problem in your case because, the zfs cache would have grown
>     during the build. Now when you login
>     the JDS binaries which sit on UFS need to be loaded and that needs to
>     throw out what ZFS cached. This is right now
>     is not very smooth and hence you could be seeing the sluggishness....
>

> Should I just use UFS for the entire hard disk for the time being?
No, don't do that. Just try limiting the ARC size.

Also, do the KDE checkouts have a lot of small files ? Or does it have a
lot of compressed files
(ie. *gz or zip) ?

If that is the case you are better off not having compression.
> I know ZFS root post-install is possible. It seemed a little tricky
> for me.
>

>     The NWAM dropping the line possibly means the signal seems to be
>     dropping at times...
>     I use it at home for days without any issue (infact I am punched in to
>     office network for over a day).
>

> My office laptop ( which is an HP plugged into the same wireless
> network at my home, runs XP ) did not disconnect the entire night. My
> personal laptop ( which runs SXDE ) had around 50+ disconnections over
> a period of 12 hours.
>
> And Ubuntu, which runs on the same laptop on the same wireless
> network, never disconnects as well.
> It could either be
>  - the driver wpi0
>  - flaky nwam ( which i think is the culprit )
Then don't use NWAM and see if that fixes it.
I used the same wpi driver on my Sony vaio and worked well.

Cheers,
Sanjeev.