Mr. Kangwawo:

Mr. Kipenji's crass remarks notwithstanding, the issue of the Uganda Martyrs has been debated, and will be debated, for a long time, by people of varying intellectual capital and viewpoints.

Unfortunately Uganda's education system does not easily lend itself to preparing the general public to debate such a complex issue competently. Then there are those cynics who seek to trivialize it and will stop at nothing to exploit the tragedy to buttress their various political agendas.

As it happens, we have been quite fortunate in that some people have taken the trouble to write books and share their expertise, in quite simple language. This, in addition to technical papers in learned journals.

Here is a short list of some of the commonest:

Faupel, John Francis, 1962. African holocaust: the story of Uganda Martyrs.
New York, P. J. Kenedy

Pirouet, Louise. 1969. Strong in the faith; the witness of the Uganda martyrs.
Mukono, Church of Uganda Literature Centre

Garrett, Samuel McCray. ca. 1974. Case of the Uganda martyrs (1885-1886)
Boston, Inter-collegiate Clearing House

Kavulu, David. 1969 The Uganda martyrs.
Kampala, Longmans of Uganda

For the life of me I cannot recall the title of  the one that preceeded Fr. Faupel's book, but I think it was written by Black-something or other.

An interesting approach to xtian martyrdom was used in:

Donald W Riddle 1931 The Martyrs: A Study in Social Control, Chicago, University of Chicago Press.  Basically Prof. Riddle examined the psychology and behavior of the martyrs to reach some remarkable conclusions. Riddle looked at the methods by which the early church controlled its members so completely that in many cases  they consiciously chose torture and excruciatingly horrible and painful deaths rather than give up membership in the church in the struggle for allegiance between the leaders of the church and leaders of the state. (There is a parallel struggle between leaders of state and leaders of political parties ... or 'religious' sects the world over, cf. Kanungu, Guyana, etc). In the end, the church won.

 There is also one by Ivo Lesbaupin 1987 Blessed Are The Persecuted: The Early Church Under Seige (Tr. from Portuguese by Robert Barr). London, Spire - Hodder & Stroughton

This one by a former monk, uses more or less a historical approach,  do not recall seing  reference to Riddle's book, but seem to recall remarkable similarity in the behavior of martyrs. This is not so surprising , given that they studied the same people.

What is truly remarkable, however, is that Faupel describes some of the very same behavious among the Uganda martyrs: some went to their painful death in high spirits, singing, joyous and all!!! Just like their earlier counterparts in Rome.

By the way, early xtians were regarded as pagans by the Romans.

I have also seen frequent references to an unpublished manuscript by Fr. Ddiba ca. 1950s (?) Religion in Buganda, which also supposedly deals with the same era and issue Mr. Wright dealt with.

Speaking of history, we, the Baganda fought at least two civil wars over these foreign religions in the 1880s. And there is an excellent book about that is chokeful of  well-researched details on that era by an historian. It is:

Michael Wright 1971. Buganda in the Heroic Age, Nairobi, Oxford University Press.

Generally, the book is about the Mwanga era. If memory serves me right, the author concludes that Mwanga acted according to prevailing custom and law. The law may have been harsh and uninformed by today's standards, but it was the law nonetheless: a point that seems to be totally lost on our current detractors, who for the most part are  uni-dimensional,  sometimes to the point of being just a little more than simpletons.

Ssemakula

ps: Until a few years ago I did not know didly about the Uganda Martyrs. When I got invited to speak about the subject, I realized how little I knew about it and decided to bone up on  the subject. This particular speaking engagement fell though at the very last moment, but it was a great opportunity to get a little insight into our relatively recent history. One does get some appreciation why politicians, especially bad ones, are dying to exploit any real or imagined religious schisms.