I think you are insidiously mis-stating the facts when you say 'buganda asked for Kampala and Uganda Revenue Authority", as usual your statements are designed to incite and divide rather than unite and heal. Given the nonchalant attitude of the other regions on the issue, it appears Buganda has been forced to go it alone. Anyway i am not in support of federalism because Buganda is pushing for it, rather i see it as a remedy to most of our global problems as a nation such as, tribalism, nepotism and despotism. This ought to be the focus, not killing the issue just because you have an axe to grind with Buganda and Museveni and in the process throwing away the baby with the bathwater. For even allowing the dialogue to start the government should be applauded, their motives irrespective. Netters can you remember another government in Uganda where dialogue on national issues was so broad, free and unsensored, both at home and abroad? Where you have free expression of ideas from both sides of an issue without feeling that your life was in eminent danger? If that isn't progress then i don't know what is.

From: "Mulindwa Edward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ugnet_: Re: ugnet_: 'Federo' is a fantasy
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 06:23:18 -0400

Mwaami Musaazi

You are using a wrong terminology here, what we have in Uganda today is not
a negotiation of federalism, it is a Buganda attack on all national
institutions for her own benefit. An act that Ugandans have vehemently
refused. And I will give you examples (1) Mengo asked for Kampala which it
knew was Uganda's capital and built by Ugandans. When Ugandans refused it
Mengo said if we do not get Kampala we do not take that federalism (2) They
then asked for Uganda Revenue Authority, the government said No, Mengo
responded that with out it they do not want federalism. And I can go on and
on with such examples of unrealistic requests. Can you tell me one instance
where Buganda's request was refused and Mengo moved on? The formula is
either give us this or we are out of here.
Secondly I do not even think that Buganda has a right to negotiate with NRM
on how to install this federalism, in fact the smart thing NRM should have
done would have been to send Buganda back to Mengo and ask them to negotiate
with other units, then all of them to come back to Uganda government with a
finished document, for there is no way Uganda government can negotiate with
pieces. But NRM would have done that if it was interested in putting real
federalism in Uganda, what NRM wants today is Buganda's vote for the sad
term, and if giving them a half baked federalism is the bait, so be it.
Remember you are dealing with very shrewd people.
Lastly some of us are wondering whether NRM has even the authority to
negotiate the fate of our nation. Remember they came to power by force of
arms they were never elected to come to power, and since then they failed to
even turn into a political party, we still have a Resistance Council which
to now we do not know who elected it, running our nation. And that Council
understands its limitations that is why you see that they do not make
national decisions which will be internationally recognised, for they know
that they will not. An example is the failure to establish a Uganda Army.
For they know that they can not commission officers. How can they turn a
nation from Unitary to federalism? Those are questions Mengo should have
asked before they claimed ownership on Uganda Revenue Authority. But hey it
is all a fantasy!!

Be well