Hahahahah, you got something to say.  Monarchism with democracy is good.  Your ideas about monarchies are yours and mine are mine.  I see nothing wrong with monarchism with democracy.

Republicanism as we know it in Uganda has cost us more lives than monarchism has.  Ex. look at the republicanism of the USA has done to Iraq, Afghanistan lives.  Ex.2 look at what the republicanism of present Uganda is doing to Northern lives.  Compare; let's add the numbers and we shall find out which has taken most Ugandan lives; monarchism or republicanism.

"He who is courteous to you won't necessarily make a good husband for your daughter," is very true.  No wonder the King has over and over again extended his hand into discussing peace but still some sections won't take his friendship.  These sections would rather see themselves dying and killing each other without accepting any help because of the proverb you just gave me.

No wonder the northern blood is still flowing!!  Why wouldn't it, with folks attached to the meaning in the Madi proverb??  This sounds like self-destruction!  They are simply telling us that they don't need (Kabaka's) help.  Who has patience for this??  People can only handle but so much!  This is sad indeed!

Zakoomu R.

Vukoni Lupa-Lasaga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
My dear Zakoomu,

It wasn't my intention to draw attention away from Kabaka Mutebi's
praiseworthy peace efforts. But since you appear so eager to proselytize
on behalf of monarchies, let me state my position more clearly.

1. I do not believe that political power should be inherited and I consider
our monarchs as living museum pieces and their advocates as errant curators
of our culture.

2. But I can live with any system where the powers of politicians and
rulers (hereditary or not) are clearly defined and limited in a democratic
constitution and/or in practice.

3. Arbitrary and unlimited power is dangerous in any hands. Uganda's own
monarchs, until the abolition of kingdoms by the Obote dictatorship in the
60's, indulged in excesses (including the disenfranchisement and murder of
those who stood in their way). Simp ly put, they never got the opportunity
that Obote, Amin, and Museveni seized to abuse their hereditary powers. In
other words, monarchies in Uganda look good mostly because the
post-colonial political class has been an abject failure and for nostalgic
reasons that have little to do with any inherent superiority of monarchism
over republicanism.

4. Monarchies in Africa, from Morocco in the north to Swaziland in the
south, rank high among the despots and squanderers of our people's
wealth. There is no reason for me to trust that the story of executive
monarchies will be drastically different in Uganda, notwithstanding Kabaka
Mutebi's conduct. A Ma'di proverb says it all: "Ny'i uzi'di laru tro rii
oya mgbe olure nya zaa ni ago cuwi dru ku," -- Which roughly translates as,
"He who is courteous to you won't necessarily make a good husband for your
daughter."

vukoni

---
Ch ecked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).