I want to say this because it is a recouring theme on this medium and i want us to discuss it sincerely. WHY IS IT FOR EXAMPLE, THAT WHENEVER ANYBODY EXPRESSES DISPLEASURE FOR THE UPC (SOLELY BASED ON THERE PAST RECORD) AND SUPPORT FOR THE PRESENT GOVERNMENT, THEY ARE AUTOMATICALLY LABELED AS MURDERS AND HATERS BY UPC SUPPORTERS ON THIS FORUM, YET WHEN IT IS POINTED OUT TO THE UPC SUPPORTERS HOW OTHERS SUFFERED UNDER THE UPC THEY ARE TOLD THAT IT IS NOT TRUE AS IF WHAT THEY EXPERIENCED WAS A DREAM AND THE UPC SUPPORTERS COMPLETELY DENY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT PAST EVEN IN THE PRESENCE OF UNDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE.

I think to me there in lies the crux or the cog in the wheel of progress of Uganda. The message it sends to me as Muganda and a southerner who lost relatives and loved ones during that era is that "your dead don't matter except ours" AS LONG AS THE UPC continues to operate as if the 60's and 80's never existed i don't think they deserve to EVER rule Uganda again. This idea of insisting on seeing things through your own lense only does not help. If poeple like Matek who represent the thinking of the UPC categorically deny that the UPC did anything wrong in Buganda and the south when it was in power in the 60's and 80's, that tells me as a thinking person from the south, and a Muganda, that if the UPC got back to power they would basically continue where they stoped because to them, BAGANDA DESERVED WHAT THEY GOT AND THEREFORE NOTHING WAS WRONG. IT'S LIKE GIVING HITLER A SECOND CHANCE. IF POEPLE LIKE MATEK ARE RESOLVED TO HOLDING TO THERE POSITIONS AND ARE UNAPOLOGETIC, THEN IT IS UP TO ME AND INDEED SOUTHERNERS TO ALSO BE STRONG AND RESOLVE TO PROTECT THEMSELVES FROM A REPEAT OF HISTORY BY NOT ALLOWING THE UPC TO EVER GET TO POWER. IT IS NOW PERSONAL. THIS IS WHY I MADE THE POINT THAT BAGANDA NO LONGER LOVE THE KABAKA UNCONDITIONALY.

UNFORTUNATELY INNOCENT CIVILIANS ARE CAUGHT IN THE MIDDLE, BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE MATEK ARE USING THERE UNFORTUNATE SITUATION TO GAIN CHEAP POLITICAL POINTS. THE UPC IS NOW PRETENDING TO REPRESENT THE INTERESTS OF NORTHERNERS, YET WHEN OBOTE WAS IN POWER HE NEVER DID ANYTHING FOR THEM. I am personaly convinced that the UPC has some links to Kony. UPC politians have never openly condemed Kony rather they continue to hip blame on the government, forgeting that nothern and southern soldiers are dying to protect the lives of people in the north. This unprincipled political Tactic being employed by the UPC risks enflaming ethnic tensions by giving the impression that it is south versus the north. I am in no way trying to pass off the government as completely innocent in the goings on in the north, however it is clearl that 80-90% of the problems in the north are Kony caused. What the UPC doesn't realize is that they are playing straight into President Museveni's hands, because any election for president will be strictly around security issues and southerners would never vote for a UPC party subtely or otherwise associated with Kony. It will therefore be in the interest of Westerners and Southerners to ensure that President Museveni continues.

In conclusion, it is clear that at some point in Uganda there will be multiparty politics. Athough it is strange that when the issue of federalism is raised, the UPC's position has been "how can we have discussions on federalism when the north is undersiege" yet the same UPC is ready to hold elections tomorrow in the north. Anyway my concluding point is that it is in the interest of Uganda and the opposing parties to base their campaigns on issues rather than ethinicity because in the Uganda of today no ethnic group is gullible any longer. From the North to the South every body is ready to do whatever it takes to protect there property and there loved ones if the need arises.

From: Owor Kipenji <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ugnet_: Re: [FedsNet] UPC on Federalism
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 14:20:57 +0000 (GMT)

Mwaami Ssemakula, for the record I want to put it to you that I ,in no way coaxed you to support UPC.
Secondly by your kin and kith,I did not specifically refer to your Father/Mother /Uncle/Auntie who may share the same genetic map with you 99.9999% of the time,but I meant Baganda of repute who unlike you
knew and believed in that saying"Komu,Komu Kyomuganda" and went on to found a party that was beyond the perimeter of the Kingdom of then Buganda.
Regarding what happened in Luwero and the 1964-1966,events,if you choose to read history with an open mind and not with the severe amaurosis that appears to be your take,you will know that what you state is not 100% true.
The choice for you is your own making and I only hope that you represent the views of the subliminal members of the greater Buganda otherwise if not,then we are still on Gakyaali mabaga as far as Federalism is concerned.
You will have to win over millions more other souls to take you with your rabid and paranoid hatred very seriously.
I will keep my ears to the ground!.
Akuume.
Kipenji.

Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963