On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Peter Knapp <peter.kn...@ccsleeds.co.uk>
wrote:

> They are a stupid price, I agree.
>
> If you fancy a spot of DIY, you can create full rack blanks for around £7
> each.

$1.00 = £0.65

> Have a search for Correx Corrugated Plastic Fire Retardant. It is also
> known as Fluted Plastic. You can get it 2mm and 4mm thick and the 4mm is
> about strong enough to use in a rack, although to be fair in full sheets we
> used the 2mm stuff by popping a number of cage nuts/screws through it to
> pin it down. We put a couple of 1U metal blanks behind it to stop it bowing
> too much.
>
> It is a tad of a cheap and cheerful approach, but when you need to blank
> an entire new suite, it actually serves the purpose very well for the
> money, so long as you don't mind getting busy with a straight edge and
> knife.

Too be honest, we're all getting screwed.

If you are buying retail racks, the data center provider _should_ provide
them. You're renting. It's like renting an apartment without doors.

If you buy wholesale and buy suites, maybe.

The real problem is a green and cost efficiency issue. How many suites will
buy blanks over and over and over for the life of the suite? Way too many.

Opinion: Data centers should provide them.

Best,

-M<