Dear Nicholas,

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 6:37 PM Nicholas Humfrey <nicholas.humf...@bbc.co.uk>
wrote:

> I came across this Stackoverflow question:
>
> https://networkengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/47994/is-multicast-on-the-public-internet-possible-and-if-yes-how
>
> With accepted answer: "*You cannot multicast on the public Internet*"
> Which I guess is generally true. But is there still a multicast
> VLAN available at LoNAP and LINX? Is anyone using it for anything?
>
> I also saw that Internet 2 * "**will begin the sunset of Interdomain Any
> Source Multicast (ASM) <https://www.internet2.edu/blogs/detail/16613>" *- but
> in preference for Source Specific Multicast, so I guess the Multicast
> Internet exists in some parts of the world.
>
> Is there any chance of multicast making a resurgence? If everyone has
> gigabit internet to their homes, will the network cores be able to cope
> with everyone watching 35 Mbps UHD (Live) television streams simultaneously?

 Perhaps this NANOG thread is of interest to you "Confirming source-routed
multicast is dead on the public Internet"
https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2018-July/096600.html

I don't expect a resurgence of multicast any time soon, but perhaps BIER
brings new possibilities? (though if I'm not mistaken, it appears that BIER
is meant for not-Internet administrative domains)
https://www.ietfjournal.org/an-overview-of-bit-index-explicit-replication-bier/

Kind regards,

Job