  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: understand@literacyworkshop.org<mailto:understand@literacyworkshop.org>
  Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:50 AM
  Subject: Re: [Understand] Beginning with Chapter One

  Wow, Judy!
  When you say green, you mean GREEN. I didn't mean to insinuate that you are
  leaving these new teachers to their own devices...I know better! :-)

  I just thought you might kill two birds with one stone. If you study
  comprehension strategies WITH the newbies, they get the background knowledge
and  you
  get the professional development that comes from the discussion as well. You
  know how you learn more about something by talking about it with  peers?
  Well...maybe they are not ready for all that yet. Maybe what is  best is to
find
  out what the newbies think they need and start there.

  I still think that the tenants of Ellin's new book, To Understand, could  and
  should be shared with them when they start to learn about teaching
  comprehension. Suppose, when they are ready, they learn to teach
  visualizing...couldn't they learn to teach some of the dimensions of
understanding at the same
  time? Couldn't it be integrated into the lesson? I  really don't know these
new
  teachers, and I can't say I have tried to teach  these dimensions of
  understanding to many of my own staff yet...so maybe I am  really off base.
It just
  seems to me that what Ellin is arguing for is NOT an  add on...it should be
an
  integral part of strategy instruction to begin with,  shouldn't it? I think
that
  the What's Essential model would be the best place to  start with new
teachers
  since isn't that the biggest problem new teachers  have??? They never know
  what to teach first....

  Please understand, Judy, I didn't mean to offend you! When I post a
  response, I can only respond to the information you include in each post.
From
  hundreds of miles away, all we know is what you have originally written.
Thanks  for
  clarifying...and good luck!
  Jennifer

  In a message dated 9/28/2008 2:25:19 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,