In a message dated 2001-12-03 12:20:46 Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

>  Perhaps a corruption of "c-overbar," which is a medical abbreviaton for
>  "with," sometimes used by nurses, doctors, and pharmacies?

Thanks to everyone who, directly or indirectly, corrected me on this
character.  Yes, you are all right: the character used in (as it turns out)
the medical field to mean "with" is, in fact, c-overbar and not c-underbar.
In Unicode we would say U+0063 U+0305.

So to get back to my original questions about this thing, (a) is it a
character in its own right, (b) if so, is there any justification in encoding
it separately rather than using a combining sequence, and (c) is this not
*exactly* the same set of issues as the question of encoding the Swedish
o-underbar?

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California