As the person who implemented UTF-8 checking for http://validator.w3.org,
I beg to disagree. In order to validate correctly, the validator has
to make sure it correctly interprets the incomming byte sequence as
a sequence of characters. For this, it has to know the character
encoding. As an example, there are many files in iso-2022-jp or
shift_jis that are prefectly valid as such, but will get rejected
by some tools because they contain bytes that correspond to '<' in
ASCII as part of a doublebyte character.

So the UTF-8 check is just to make sure we validate something
reasonable, and to avoid GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).
Of course, this cannot be avoided completely; the validator
has no way to check whether something that is sent in as
iso-8859-1 would actually be iso-8859-2. (humans can check
by looking at the source).

Regards,  Martin.