At 18:09 12/16/2001, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:

> > Keyboards as defined in the DDK return a table of keystroke to character
> > pairs (I'm ignoring deadkeys and ligatures).
>
>My suggestion here is to add surrogate pairs to the ligature table. After
>all, what is a ligature in that table but multiple code points that are
>entered via a single keystroke? While technically they were not really
>thinking about supplementary characters, do you see any actual issue that
>would block this from working?

Ligatures are not generally entered via a single keystroke: they are glyph
representation of multiple characters that are usually entered
individually. The notion of handling surrogate pairs via ligature
substitutions was discussed a couple of months ago on the OpenType list,
and the view of font developers seems pretty unanimous that this is a Bad
Idea. Handling surrogate pairs is something that should be happen in
character space, not in glyph space, which means that it properly belongs
in something like Uniscribe, not in the glyph substitutions tables of
individual fonts. The font support should be limited to providing the
correct cmap table format to support supplementary plane characters.

John Hudson

Tiro Typeworks          www.tiro.com
Vancouver, BC           [EMAIL PROTECTED]

... es ist ein unwiederbringliches Bild der Vergangenheit,
das mit jeder Gegenwart zu verschwinden droht, die sich
nicht in ihm gemeint erkannte.

... every image of the past that is not recognized by the
present as one of its own concerns threatens to disappear
irretrievably.
                                               Walter Benjamin