At 06:09 PM 16/12/2001 -0800, Michael \(michka\) Kaplan wrote:
>My suggestion here is to add surrogate pairs to the ligature table. After
>all, what is a ligature in that table but multiple code points that are
>entered via a single keystroke? While technically they were not really
>thinking about supplementary characters, do you see any actual issue that
>would block this from working?

AFAIK this would work at the system level.  I have experimented with using
ligatures and not had any problems.  However (an unrelated problem), you
would have problems with most applications as they do not handle plane 1
characters correctly (even most of Microsoft's applications until Office XP).

Of course, if you are planning to develop keyboard layouts for new versions
of Windows, you should probably be using the Text Services Framework rather
than the legacy keyboard DLLs.

Marc Durdin
Tavultesoft