In spite of Arnold's anecdote, I think that I18n was in use long before
1991.  I first started using it myself in perhaps 1987, having picked it up
from colleagues at Digital Equipment Corporation (remember *them*?); I have
no idea where they got the term, though.  However, I first encountered L10n
quite some years later, possibly as recently as 1994 or 1995, but I don't
recall it as clearly.

Jim

At 07:14 AM 2002-10-10 -0400 Thursday, Winkler, Arnold F wrote:
>Tex,
>
>Here is my recollection:
>
>Sometime around 1991 in a IEEE P1003.1 (POSIX) meeting, Gary Miller (IBM)
>was writing on the blackboard.  After having spelled out
>Internationalization a few times, he first abbreviated it to I--n and a bit
>later (obviously after counting the letters in between) used I18N.  Sandra
>might have been at the meeting, and Keld - they might be able to confirm my
>recollection.
>
>L10N did not show up until quite some time later.  I have no idea who used
>it first.

Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
Oracle Corporation            Oracle Email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1930 Viscounti Drive          Standards email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sandy, UT 84093-1063              Personal email: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
USA                                                Fax : +1.801.942.3345
=  Facts are facts.  However, any opinions expressed are the opinions  =
=  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
=  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =