At 08:35 AM 10/10/2002 -0700, Rick wrote:
>The earliest reference I can find to "i18n" in my old e-mail trail is the
>following e-mail to the "sun!unicode" mail list by Glenn Wright. This was
>Oct 5, 1989. By that time, the term was definitely current, as Mr. Hiura
>suggests.

I registered i18n.com around 94 or so, and the fellow, whose name I am trying hard to
recall (first name JR, Australian or British IIRC, red hair), seemed to indicate the
coinage was quite some time before that and he was very surprised when I told him how
extensive the usage was by then.

I'm a jonny-come-lately when it comes to unix and other standards history... is there
an searchable archive of windows standards anywhere? How about a cvs server of code?
It seems to me that i18n or variants could have made it into code as a function name
almost immediately, or possibly even before being put into a standards doc....

It seems to me that l10n was extant by the time I came to CA ~ 1992.

Perhaps Ken Lunde can shed some light - he surely came across a lot of early docs
while writing his first book, which was a republication of an online archive he
maintained I think.

Barry