It seems to me the proposal would present a stronger case if samples were
available that were something *other* than an explanation of the symbol in
a dictionary, encyclopaedia, or other reference. It would be similar to
these kinds of samples if I were to create a proposal using as a sample
the Phonetic Symbol Guide, but that might not clearly show if a character
was something that was merely proposed by someone at one time but never
actually used -- in such a case, taking a sample from Phonetic Symbol
Guide does not really demonstrate the need to encode as a character for
text representation. Likewise, the sample for (e.g.) the fleur-de-lis
doesn't really provide a case that this should be a character to
facilitate representation in text. It wouldn't be hard to provide a
comparable descriptive paragraph that began with an image of the Stars and
Stripes, but I don't think we'd want to encode the US flag as a character.

I'm not saying that I oppose the proposed characters; just that samples of
a different nature would make for a stronger case.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485