Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

>>> Similarly, the fleur-de-lis is a well-known named symbol which can
>>> be used to represent a number of things.
>>
>> In text? I've seen it on flags, on license plates, on heraldic
>> crests, but  can't recall seeing it in text.
>
> I don't have access to a Scout manual here.... ;-)

I do.  There's a whole nice page explaining the various parts of the Boy
Scout badge.  (It's more than just a fleur-de-lis; there's an eagle, a
shield, two stars, a loop, and a scroll with the words "BE PREPARED.")
But nowhere is it used in running text, as a dingbat or otherwise.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/