Michael Everson wrote on 06/23/2003 07:54:13 AM:

> We have *all* seen the atom sign, and I have,
> as Liungman points out, seen it on maps, though I don't seem to have
> such a map here in the house.

But just because a symbol appears on maps, does that mean it should be
encoded as a character? I've seen a lot of maps that have a pointed cross
showing four cardinal points of the compass; should we encode that?

> Similarly, the fleur-de-lis is a
> well-known named symbol which can be used to represent a number of
> things.

In text? I've seen it on flags, on license plates, on heraldic crests, but
can't recall seeing it in text.

> I do the best I can. At the end of the day my document won its case
> and the five characters were accepted.

So, this isn't a new proposal? These characters have already been
accepted? (If so, that's fine.)

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485