Hello,

2004-05-12T03:08:59+03:00 Eric Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> According to <www.eki.ee>, there is a currently an effort to convert the
> writing of Tatar from Cyrillic to Latin.

> 1. Does somebody have more information about that effort?

Perhaps it's their own effort.

> Eki lists four characters as needed but missing in Unicode (see
> <http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=tt+Tatar&script=latin>).

> 2. The case pair for barred o is encoded (U+019F and U+0275), and it
> seems that their confusion comes from less-than-perfect but annotated
> name for U+019F, and from the usage remark "African". Can we
> authoritatively tell them that those two characters are the ones they
> want? Can we add a "Tatar" usage remark to both?

Is there a need for this? You don't want to tell everyone on the net
about his or her wrong assumptions. There's one sentence in the page
you mentioned that gives a good description of this resource:

"The conversion from Cyrillic to Latin script is planned within years
2001-2011."

This is false.

> 3. The case pair n with descender is definitely not encoded, and from my
> memory of the discussion of ghe with descender, we would want to encode
> them as separate characters (rather than with combining descenders on
> "n"). Is anybody working on that proposal?

There's no Latin Tatar script. It's the law. Full stop.

It's the Institute of Estonian language. I hope they know more about
Estonian than about other languages and Unicode.

> PS: sorry for the double post to unicode and unicore. However, given the
> current state of [EMAIL PROTECTED], this seems the best course of action.

What's up with [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--
  Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/