Hello,

(delayed response)

2004-05-12T19:37:51+03:00 Ernest Cline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  From: Alexander Savenkov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>
>> 2004-05-12T03:08:59+03:00 Eric Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > According to <www.eki.ee>, there is a currently an effort to convert the
>> > writing of Tatar from Cyrillic to Latin.
>>
>> > 1. Does somebody have more information about that effort?
>>
>> Perhaps it's their own effort.
>>
>> > Eki lists four characters as needed but missing in Unicode (see
>> >
>> <http://www.eki.ee/letter/chardata.cgi?lang=tt+Tatar&script=latin>).
>>
>> > 2. The case pair for barred o is encoded (U+019F and U+0275), and it
>> > seems that their confusion comes from less-than-perfect but annotated
>> > name for U+019F, and from the usage remark "African". Can we
>> > authoritatively tell them that those two characters are the ones they
>> > want? Can we add a "Tatar" usage remark to both?
>>
>> Is there a need for this? You don't want to tell everyone on the net
>> about his or her wrong assumptions. There's one sentence in the page
>> you mentioned that gives a good description of this resource:
>>
>> "The conversion from Cyrillic to Latin script is planned within years
>> 2001-2011."
>>
>> This is false.
>>
>> > 3. The case pair n with descender is definitely not encoded, and from my
>> > memory of the discussion of ghe with descender, we would want to encode
>> > them as separate characters (rather than with combining descenders on
>> > "n"). Is anybody working on that proposal?
>>
>> There's no Latin Tatar script. It's the law. Full stop.
>>
>> It's the Institute of Estonian language. I hope they know more about
>> Estonian than about other languages and Unicode.

> They are numerous sites on the web about the change from Cyrillic to
> Latin for Tatar that is planned for completion by 2011 by the Republic
> of Tatarstan (a part of the Russian Federation).

Ernest, I fail to see how the fact that there are numerous sites about
Latin for Tatar proves it really exists. There are numerous sites
about Babylon 5 and Frankenstein. What are your thoughts about these?

> There is legal wrangling
> over wether Tatarstan can make the change back to Latin script official
> for Tatar as it is used there, but no final decision has been reached and
> there is probably at least several more years of legal shenanigans
> before it is reached.

You're wrong and the facts you give here are outdated. Legal wrangling
is over. See links below (in Russian).

> As for the merits of the proposed change back to Latin, I think
> it is silly for Tatarstan to make the change and it is silly for the
> Russian Federation to oppose it.

Your clever thoughts are really helpful. I wonder what Russians and
Tatars would do without them.

Links in Russian:
http://www.tatar.ru/?DNSID=0627096ec5c075004c0d219207f349de&node_id=978
http://www.tatar.ru/00001296_c.html