Peter Constable wrote at 8:58 AM on Tuesday, May 4, 2004:

>Ah, so the next protracted debate is going to be whether Samaritan
>should also be encoded using the existing square Hebrew characters.
>Since it would appear that the argument for unification of PH with
>Hebrew could also argue for unification of PH with Samaritan, or of all
>three.

Correct.

Samaritan, unlike Old Hebrew, which adopted Aramaic forms during and
after the Babylonian exile, has retained the Phoenician/Canaanite forms.

The main complication I see with encoding Samaritan, that is different
than what we are currently discussing, is the reality of its still-
living, long-preserved script and religious tradition.

Respectfully,

Dean A. Snyder

Assistant Research Scholar
Manager, Digital Hammurabi Project